Multiple sclerosis is a disease of the central nervous system that consists of damage of the myelinated sheath, this demyelination causes an alteration of the functions in the patient.
There are 4 types of multiple sclerosis:
- Relapsed remission .- This type of sclerosis is the most common.
- Relapse with progression .- This is the least recurrent to only suffer it 3% of patients.
- Progressive primary .- 12% of patients have this type of multiple sclerosis.
- Progressive secondary .- This is the second most common with 25%.
It is unknown what causes multiple sclerosis, but it is known that viral infections influence this disease.
Symptoms and Treatment
The symptoms vary depending on the type of sclerosis that is suffered, however, it is necessary to go with a specialist when there is a neurological symptom that persists for more than 24 hours and does not improve also if the symptom limits the functionality is better to go.
Some of the symptoms are:
- Loss of balance.
- Muscle spasms.
- Frequent need to urinate.
- Loss of vision.
- Depression or feelings of sadness.
- Language poorly articulated or difficult to understand.
The main test for its detection is the brain resonance and consists of a study of brain image and spinal cord that is made in a computer that has a magnetic field that passes around the body to draw in this case around the brain and the bone marrow spinal.
So far there is no cure for multiple sclerosis , but there are alternatives to delay the disease such as physiotherapy and some other drugs recommended to prevent inflammation in the brain, although the condition is chronic in many cases patients with multiple sclerosis can perform in some job